In partnership with museums, universities, foundations, and national organizations across the country, the Medgar and Myrlie Evers Institute is sponsoring events commemorating the 50th anniversary of Medgar Evers’ assassination, culminating in a series of activities in Washington, D. C., and Jackson, Miss., in June 2013. For a complete list of events, visit http://www.eversinstitute.org/.
Events in Jackson, Miss., June 8-12
- June 8 – Inaugural Medgar Evers International Day of Justice and Service
- June 9 – Medgar Evers Sunday
Faith leaders all over the world will remember Medgar Evers and celebrate his legacy by sharing a message of unity and faith.
- June 9 – Liturgy for Racial Reconciliation, 4 p.m.
Commemorating the life and legacy of Medgar Evers, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral
- June 9 – Medgar Evers Exhibit Grand Opening and Reception, 6 p.m.
Smith Robertson Museum and Cultural Center
- June 10-11 – Where Medgar Walked: Civil Rights Sites Tours (city-wide)
- June 10-11 – Civil Rights Film Festival, Davis Planetarium
- June 11 – Day of Commitment
Youth Congress: Dedicated to the Cause of Freedom, Cabot Lodge Millsaps
- June 12 – International Day of Remembrance, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Art Garden Celebration on the Green, Mississippi Museum of Art, Music • Art • Food festival • Literacy fair • Reflections and book signings by historians and authors • Sponsor exhibits
- Service of the Bells, Noon – 12:30 p.m., Memorial and praise in word and song
- Tribute Gala, 7:30 p.m.
Jackson Convention Complex
For tickets, call 1-800-599-0650.