If you haven’t already figured it out, I’m a big fan of social media and I would be remiss if I didn’t talk a little bit about Twitter. For those of you who may not yet have adopted it (shame on you for allowing MySpace to live this long), it’s a medium that essentially makes our world smaller. Wanna see something cool? Check out this interactive Twitter usage world map.
I won’t bore you as I wax poetically about how cool Twitter is, but I wanted to share with you my Top 10 Ole Miss-related accounts that keep me up-to-date on all the goings-on around campus.
You may ask, “Ryan, what makes a Twitter account great?” When I’m considering following someone, I look for quality, accurate information, good photos, and better content. I also love sports, so you’ll see a pattern. We’ll do this Late Show-style, but there’s no particular order.
10. @RedCupRebellion – This often sarcastic (but always relevant) account puts you in the shoes of die-hard Rebel fans who have a knack for content. They’re always tweeting links to their blog, http://www.redcuprebellion.com/, and talk a lot of truth.
9. @UMFordCenter – Good updates and show announcements from the Gertrude C. Ford Center for Performing Arts. Prior to the birth of Twitter, there would have been plenty of times I would have missed some epic acts on campus, but not anymore.
8. @RebVoice – A world-class announcer who has chronicled classic Ole Miss moments for more than 30 years, David Kellum even shares some great photos from field-level prior to and after big games. Check out his call from the Ole Miss vs. Vanderbilt basketball game back in 2013.
7. @OleMissPres – Should you ever need to know what’s affecting students on campus, this account for the acting Ole Miss Associated Student Body President should be your source.
6. @CoachHughFreeze – Each morning, I wake up and am greeted on Twitter with tweets of inspiration from Ole Miss head football coach Hugh Freeze. Ever met a Twitter-savvy coach? They are few and far between, but Coach Freeze is certainly one of them. We’re lucky to have him in our social circle.
5. @OleMissRebels – I know, I know. How dare I include the official university Twitter account run by our department? I would respond by saying we try to share things that interest the entire Ole Miss community.
4. @OleMissPix – Love photography? Ole Miss Athletics photographer Josh McCoy attends nearly every home (and many away) sporting events and shares many of his photos via Twitter. He even catches some non-athletic activities during athletic events, which is definitely unique.
3. @potlikker – When photography, Twitter, southern food and beverages meet, it’s an amalgamation of amazing-ness which comes in the form of the official account of the Southern Foodways Alliance.
2. @thedm_news – Always willing to tackle the tough issues, the Ole Miss student-run newspaper (The Daily Mississippian) breaks news that campus constituents care about. A good feed to follow for a balance of sports, news, editorial and features content.
1. @OleMissAlumni – They give away free stuff, share Instagram photos from around campus and they overuse the hashtag #hottytoddy. What more could you ask for?